82 volvo 240 DL won't start

recently I replaced the stereo in my car and I heard a funny noise comming from in front of the rear driverside tire a couple of days later the noise stoped and my car won't stop however the starter will turn over. what could the problem be and does this noise have anything to do with the car not starting. please help

Reply to
David

My guess is that noise was the fuel pump. The location you describe sounds about right, and they often buzz when they are in trouble. The pump can either die on its own, or be overworked by the fuel pump in the tank failing. If the main pump under the car is bad, it's important to find out whether the in-tank pump is delivering fuel to the intake of the main pump so the new one isn't overworked.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

And check the relay as well, it's common for them to overheat and melt or desolder themselves when the pump fails.

Reply to
James Sweet

Don't know if it's common, but before my relay completely failed the tank pump was noisy occasionally. With the new relay the pump was much quieter, first I thought it had failed too.

Reply to
jg