'85 245 T Not getting fuel

My son and I got our old '85 245 turbo running after sitting for a few years. The idle was great. It did spit and sputter a few times on acceleration but did run. then at idle it quit. after restart it idled fine for a few minutes and then quit. Now it won't restart. It's not getting fuel. The relay seems to be fine. The pumps were replaced not too long ago... However, when I turn the key on I don't hear the low hum of working pumps. I have a hard time believing both pumps are bad. If the check valve or filter are clogged would that keep the pumps from running? maybe from back pressure? Are there any other electrical connection that tends to fail? Any thoughts or help before I crawl under the old girl would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
don b.

Check the fuse box on the pillar, On my 93 245 I used a dremel tool to clean all the connections, use a bit of dielectric grease and change all fuses to ones with copper contacts, all the gremlins went away. Another source of problems was the fuel pump relay, it is located on the passenger's side if you pry it open you would see some cold solder joints, re-solder them, or change the relay and you should be all set.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold

Disconnect the fuel line at the filter and turn on the key, fuel should spew out at a good rate.

If the pumps are not turning on, the first thing to do is check the fuses for oxidation, then check to see if the relay is closing. If it doesn't detect pulses from the ignition system then it won't engage.

These old K-jet systems are notorious for clogging up with contamination if they sit for a long time. If the pump is running but the engine won't start, it's possible the fuel distributor and/or injectors are clogged, it's a real mess when that happens.

Reply to
James Sweet

On a K-Jet car (which includes all 240 Turbos), the relay is located on the driver's (left) side, the LH-Jet 240s have it on the right side. All other advice applies.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks!

This is what we have done so far. Replaced all the fuses with shiny new ones and cleaned the contacts. Checked the relay. I feel a click when the ignition is turned on. Loosened the fuel line at the distributor and found no flow.

That's good info about the distributor I'll keep an eye on it.

It looks like I'm going to have to finally get under the car (no easy feat since it's parked on a city street) and start chasing the line back to the pump

Reply to
don b.

You can access the main pump wiring under the back seat and check for power there without getting under the car. Also it's entirely possible for the relay to click and yet still be bad. Open it up and look at the solder joints, the cover popps off pretty easily using a small flat screwdriver or knife blade.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, what a surprise! The main fuel pump is not working. Okay, so that has to be replaced. Which by the way seems to be a some what unusual pump since its for an '85 turbo. ipd has them on back order.

Another thing came up. As we poured 5 gal. of gas in the tank about a pint dripped on to the ground. Obviously there is a leak on the filler tube.

Question, does the tank have to be dropped to replace the filler tube? Am I on the right track?

Reply to
don b.

also check the condition of the two connectors at the secondary feul pump (the pump beneath the vehicle) .This pump is out in the open and crudation (coined by me) can occur at the connectors. Pressure valve shouldn't stop the pumps cold.

Reply to
masterohnone