replacing the wiring harness (85 245)

Is there an easy way to replace it? I have one, and after I installed my new stereo yesterday, I decided to start tackling my wiring harness over the next week (I have it off).

Is there a site anywhere that might help?

I do have a Bentley reference.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

There are different, separate harnesses for different parts / areas of the car.

I assume you are talking about replacing the harness in the engine compartment?

Most especially the harness which is under the intake manifold, and which goes under the front of the block?

This harness wears out first, and failure is endemic.

I replaced mine.

I sourced the replacement in a U Pull It yard; the prior owner seemed to have replaced his recently, it seemed nearly new (nice find).

I removed the intake manifold, and with that off, it was pretty simple.

Just an exercise in logic, really.

Reply to
Mr. V

hm..I should've mentioned all that. Sorry.

I have the intake unbolted, but it's not budging. :(

So far I have a fair amount of the old one disconnected, but Im taking a break. I about broke my arm

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Some sharp taps with a soft headed mallet around the intake can cause it to pop free.

Reply to
Mr. V

I got the old harness off without removing it, and once I make sure all the right things are the right things (I labeled stuff) I'll see if I need to remove it.

I did try tapping it, but it didn't move.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

I have never had that happen.

Did you disconnect all eight intake bolts / nuts, as well as the support underneath it?

Should come off.

If it is stuck at the gasket, soak it overnight in PB Blaster penetrant.

Reply to
Mr. V

yep, all 8 and the support under it. I'll re-check it later today though.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Ok, I got most of it in, just some fine tuning of the connections, etc...but I have a few questions.

There are two male connections on the engine block, one is higher than the other. I'm pretty certain that I connected it right, but I was unable to label it properly.

What goes to it?

Also, there's a 3 prong connector thing (much like the ones that connect into the manifold), but I don't know where it goes. It was the only one I didn't label, and stupidly I didn't figure I needed to. Or maybe it's an extra one (? that doesn't sound right).

It has a blue ring around the end of it, if that helps.

Does anyone have a diagram showing what goes to what (thats easily readable)?

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan