Flame trap (85 245)

where is the flame trap for the 85 Volvo?

I have a diagram (sorta) from IPD, but it's a little difficult to decipher. I

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

It's in between intake runner #2 and #3 right against the block. There are two hoses coming from it, one to the air filter box, one to the throttle body. inside of that is either a plastic piece with a bunch of holes in it or a set of metal corrugated rings that looks like a cigarette lighter. That is the flame trap. When it's clogged the crankcase can't vent so you end up with leaking or blown out seals.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

based on your description, I think I found it. However, what i'm looking at looks to be metal, whereas what is being described on IPD's website is plastic.

I am however, going to IPD tomorrow morning (having the day off is a blessing) and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

The guts of the old style is metal, the new style is plastic, both have a black plastic external housing.

Reply to
James Sweet

And the most important thing is that the plastic part is a drop in replacement, you don't have to switch housings or anything else.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Although you may as well replace the housing, it's cheap and the old one is usually either hardened and cracks, or soft and rubbery so it kinks and clogs.

Reply to
James Sweet

replaced it with ease. THanks for the input.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan