'89 240 rear end noise

Hi,

I have an '89 240 with manual box and 195k miles.

I am noticing a whining noise which I think is from the rear.

Starts at about 35 mph and increases with speed.

Not wanting to spend too much on this as I do not think I will be able to ket it through another mot. Had lots of welding last time and was told then that it was borderline.

However, I am not wishing to get stuck somewhere in the middle of winter so any ideas on what might cause this would be useful.

Thanks.

Keith

Reply to
keith Barret

Dive underneath and check that there is still oil in the diff. The diffcover is prone to rust or the front pinionseal could have gone. As long as there is oil chances are the axle won't seize up. If the noiselevel changes in corners it could also be a wheelbearing

Reply to
M-gineering