A/C - Dashboard warning lights

On my 1990 Volvo 740GL the A/C compressor cycles about every 10 to 30 seconds, when the a/c clutch kicks in, the dashboard warning lights flash, the a/c compressor clutch releases and in a few seconds it happens again. Any ideas on what to check or replace?

Reply to
TonyTT

Check the harmonic ballancer on the engine, the alternator, A/C and other accessories are all driven off the outer pully and IIRC this is attached to the crankshaft through a rubber layer which breaks down over time. My guess is the compressor is loading that down, causing it to slow and slowing the alternator as well which is causing the warning lights to go on.

If the compressor still cycles then you're probably low on refrigerant.

Reply to
James Sweet

There's a diode on the wire going to the compressor that's supposed to suppress these inductive voltage spikes as the compressor switches on and off. It sounds like that diode may be bad. Look for a little epoxy box on the wire, grounded through one of the mounting bolts.

Also if your compressor switches on and off so frequently, it's probably low on refrigerant.

Reply to
Mike F