Are '98 S70s that bad?

I've read horror stories of electrical problems, suspension noises, glue problems on interior trim, frequent bulb replacement. much more than one would consider 'normal'. On the other hand, I've heard that my2000+, 70 series cars are better than average.

I was considering buying a 98 with very low kms, but...

? a
Reply to
Andrew

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:24:38 -0300, Andrew wibbled about:

Mine is a 98 but I am based in the UK. I bought it at 22K miles and it now says 60K

In 1.5 +years I have owned it. The faults are (that I haven't caused myself)

1 Blown brake light 2 Blown headlights - but I do have extra bright bulbs and they are on all the time so it seems fair The internal movement sensors needed replacing as they kept setting the alarm off. 1 ABS Light on once - the codes indicated a problem with the master brake pump but resetting cured the problem and it hasn't come back

No other problems spotted...

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Sean, Have a similar problem with ABS light, how did you do the reset?

Reply to
John Roccaro

Well as someone who bought a new 1998 V70, then added a used 1998 S70 4 years later, I've been quite satisfied with the car. Just don't get me started on dealer service.

Reply to
Mike F

As the others have said.

Bought my S70 about 2 years ago with 19k on the clock. Now have 96k on the clock.

Apart from what I would consider serviceable parts:

Front wheel bearings Air con problems Mass air flow thing (at about 35k)

Other than that , it's fine. Never let me down, starts first time (always), runs today the same as when I got it. Unlike the others, my dealer is fantastic (well I do see him a lot with the mileage that I do) and for now, have no intention of changing the car for a while (I usually change my car every 2 years).

Reply to
Networkguy

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:23:03 -0400, "John Roccaro" wibbled about:

I have two tame garages one with Vardis, the other just the AutoDiagnose kit. I can just wander in and help myself to the machines when I want - doesn't cost me.

You need the OBD2 stuff to reset the code I'm afraid.

Reply to
Sean Nugent

John The ABS light resets itself once there is no longer an ABS error sensed and you take the car over 18 mph.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Lee

We have a 1998 S70 (manual transmission, not turbo) and it has been a great car for us. We have had very few problems -- the only electrical issue was that a battery went dead prematurely. And once the "check engine" light came on for no apparent reason; but after we got it turned off, the problem did not reoccur.

Reply to
jtm

Reply to
Charles Owens

I bought a 98 S70 T5 in the US...had 40K miles, came off a 2 year lease. I absolutely love the car and have since spent quite a bit of time and money on it with performance enhancements and upgrades. However, the little annoying things that have ocurred over time are: frequent bulb replacement (especially for my fog lamps), ABS control module replacement (yikes!$$), interior door trim coming unglued (fixed by Volvo under warranty at no charge to me). I do have suspension creaks and noises coming from both the front and the rear. The front noises are due to worn bushings on the Upper Control Arms (the car has over 100K miles on it now, so I'm not surprised by this) and the rear noises are primarily caused by the rear coil spring bump stops that rub on the inner side of the springs themselves...completely harmless, but annoying nonetheless.

Mods to my car:

4.4+ Motronic ECU upgrade Strut Tower Brace Stainless Steel 3" cat-back performance exhaust Power Slot nickel plated brake rotors at all 4 corners K&N Performance air filter Iridium performance spark plugs Magnecor performance ignition wires Black steel mesh grille 3.5 turns wastegate adjustment European-style side marker lights 6-disc Volvo CD changer in glove box

Driven hard daily.

Al

Reply to
Al Flick