Best recent Volvo wagon quality

Hi all,

We have had 140, and 240 Volvo wagons. We now have an 850 and a 2000 V70 wagon.

Our question is, have they gotten better or worse in their quality of construction since 2000 and if so

we will consider a newer one, but if not we will keep holding where we are at?

Opinions please.....

Reply to
Mystical

As with the 140s and 240s, the quality varies from year to year. The best 240s were 1991 & 1992. The best 850s were 1995 to 1997. The best V70s were 2004 to 2006. The worst V70 was 2001. You really can't tell the quality of a year until a couple years later. However, the quality standard is much higher today than it was 10 years ago. The competition is much keener and the ability to get feedback on quality problems is much more advanced. I have a 2001 V70 which is their worst year and I haven't had any problems. The quality is so good that you must look at statistical data and not isolated experiences.

The safety has been constantly improving, which is amazing for a Volvo.

What is outstanding about the Volvos is that they will look like new and keep running forever if you keep up on standard maintenance and take reasonable care of them.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response. We have had a lot of problems with electrical connections going bad and it seems to have run through many models over many past years. Do you know if, since Ford took over, this type of problem has gotten better or worse and if under Ford, the FWD wagons have developed any other weakness? Thanks, Brad

Mystical

Hi Steve,

:The : best 240s were 1991 & 1992.

What's wrong with the 1993's. I have one.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Nothing, aside from the statistics.

A math professor I had once commented that there's 3 types of liars. There's liars, damn liars, and statisticians.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Andy,

When one looks at the statistics, they see difference that a person that owns one vehicle won't see. For example, you may have never replaced a fuel pump, but if you looked at 1,000 vehicles, you may see a pattern that rather than the normal 2%, 5% had to replace the fuel pump. It is this type of thing that makes one year better than another. 1993 was not a bad year but 1991 and 1992 were better, in fact the best for the 240.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

None of my 10 Volvos never had any electrical problems. We always keep our cars in a garage when at home. Maybe that helps. Volvo had a couple years when they got some bad wiring harnesses and another couple years when they had some poorly designed lamp sockets that would overheat. Looking at the data, it doesn't appear that it has been a problem on the V70 except for a few cars in 1999. I didn't see many changes under Ford. Of course the C70, S60 and V8 came in under Ford, but they used a Yamaha designed engine for the V8. I can't see where Volvo has any Ford components.

Reply to
Stephen Henning