Check engine light and gas cap

The check engine light in my 2000 S40 came on. When I called the dealer's service department, the person I talked to said it was probably a loose gas cap, and when I brought it in that was the diagnosis from the computer. The light was reset off, and I was sent on my way. Two days later, the light came on again, though I was sure I had tightened the cap when I filled the gas tank. This time, the computer software was updated. The light came on again the very next morning. This time, the service manager suggested that I replace the gas cap. When he took one out of stock, he remarked that it was a different design. I replied that perhaps it was changed because Volvo knew of a problem with the cap design.

When I was waiitng to talk to the service manager, he was telling another customer that she seemed to have a loose gas cap. And when I mentioned contacting Volvo about the problem, he said something about many others having already complained.

So far at least, the check engine light hasn't come back on. Too bad that wasn't recognized as the problem on the first visit.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Despite what the dealer will try to make you believe, the computer can't diagnose a loose gas cap. All the computer tells them is that the fuel tank is not holding pressure, that there is a problem with the venting system. They automatically assume a loose gas cap is causing the problem. There are a number of parts in the fuel tank venting system (and the tank itself) that could cause this code. Only with a repeated visit with the same problem will they even start looking at these components.

Reply to
Mike F