Dumb question about paint

This is probably a silly question but I'll ask it anyway, as I've been surprised by answers before.

The rear wiper of my 240 wagon has a bare spot -- probably the size of the average fingerprint, if I'm remembering correctly -- on it where the paint is gone and you can see the bare metal. I was thinking of just getting some black Rustoleum to cover it. Any reason I shouldn't do that? Is there something more appropriate I should use? I'd hate for that thing to get rusty.

Thanks, Patricia

P.S. I just ordered a set of "saddle blanket" seat covers for the front seats of the car from

I'm hoping they're as easy to put on as their customer service guy claims. Anyone had any experience with these type of seat covers on 240s?

Reply to
PButler111

That will work. It will not exctly match the appearance of the surrounding areas, if that matters to you. (First scrape any other loose paint off.)

I once had a green Mercury with peeling paint. My wife found a can of yellow Rustoleum in the garage, and painted the car where necessary. She said it was a work of art, because it was painted by an (amateur) artist.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Thanks! As for the few scratches on the car itself, I'm not as brave as your wife. I ordered touchup paint from

You use the color code for your car's specific paint, and paint scratch mixes it to order. The match is supposed to be exact. It should arrive any day now. I'll let you know.

Reply to
PButler111

If it's just the rear wiper, take it off (one nut under the cap) scrub it down real well with warm soapy water and a scouring pad, then let it dry well and paint the whole thing with semigloss or flat black spraypaint, if you use decent quality paint it'll look like new and stay that way for years.

Reply to
James Sweet

| > The rear wiper of my 240 wagon has a bare spot -- probably the size of the | > average fingerprint, if I'm remembering correctly -- on it where the paint | is | > gone and you can see the bare metal. I was thinking of just getting some | black | > Rustoleum to cover it. Any reason I shouldn't do that? Is there | something | > more appropriate I should use? I'd hate for that thing to get rusty. | >

| | | If it's just the rear wiper, take it off (one nut under the cap) scrub it | down real well with warm soapy water and a scouring pad, then let it dry | well and paint the whole thing with semigloss or flat black spraypaint, if | you use decent quality paint it'll look like new and stay that way for | years. | |

Agreed--I usually use a satin black, no need for expensive custom colors here. If you bake the painted wiper arm in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, the finish will last a long time.

LH

Reply to
Larry Horse

It will probably be an exact match for the colour when the car was new. Trouble is, it may have faded a bit in the meantime!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Could be. I'll let you know.

Reply to
PButler111

I'm a big fan of the automotive paint products from SEM

$ I've used their Trim Black for wiper arms and the blacked out exterior trim on my Bricks for years. The wiper arms painted last year on the 242t still look factory fresh with no signs of rock chips or flaking.

Reply to
don hodgdon