another probably dumb question

ok, got a 97 mustang. its a GT but it has Cobra rims and hood but not cobra bumpers or any other cobra stuff. I'm just wondering if it has a cobra motor in it. Its an automatic so I know its not a real one. How do I discern what motor is in it? it has 2 distributors if that helps. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Gumby619

Reply to
Gumby619

The Cobra motor will have a scary looking cobra emblem on top, w-i-d-e valve covers, and a SVT ID plate on one of the valve covers with the signatures of the guys who built it. At least my 98 looks like that. I think the 96-98 were all about the same.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

ok, then its not a cobra motor, damn. Anyone know what top end speed is on a

97? I got it up to 135 on the way back from Vegas last week and it had more pedal left I just ran out of clear road

gumby619

(No lectures please)

Reply to
Gumby619

Maybe 140 but that's about it. (Keep in mind speedos are often not too accurate that those speeds.)

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

None here.

You reminded me of the mook who was dating our neighbor's daughter. He had a dark green SN95 Mustang with Cobra bumpers and snake badges on the side. When I first went up to the car, it was apparent that he was "passing." No Cobra brake calipers, no white face gauges, no Cobra embossed steering wheel, and certainly no nostrils in the hood.

But the real giveaway was the automatic transmission.

I could only smile and nod, as he told me how the car ("an original Cobra") had been totalled, and that the body shop used Mustang GT parts for the repair.

Transmission, too?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

He may have been fleeced by whoever he bought the car from and genuinely believes what he's saying. Or he may be a tool.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher