Enjoy my weather with me

High: 46.4 °F / 8.0 °C Low: 12.0 °F / -11.1 °C

and

Now: 15.8 °F / -9.0 °C

It was so cold the exhaust fumes were fogging the rear window for all my driving. (Wagon aerodynamics...that's why wagons/hatchbacks have rear wipers)

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Sent this premature...could this be problematic with CO getting in the car?

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

That's warm...

This Sunday it was -24°C, -37°C with the wind chill... Monday was about -20°ish (again with wind chill) i'd say... went up to -13° during the heat of the day... My commuter car is a TDI diesel, even w/block heater plugged in had a 15 second glow from the plugs, and I never got real cabin heat (heat that wouldn't go to icy coldness when I came to a stop) for nearly 20kms.... I'm sure the Volvo did well that day - but yes, it blows whitish coloured exhaust past the rear window on cold days too.... The exhaust seems to get pulled upwards into the draft coming off the car, this draft spirals air at the back of flat-backed cars... my TDI Golf has the same problem...

It's perfectly normal that in cold weather you can see your exhaust, but at -9° you shouldn't see anything after the car warms up... and at +8° I wouldn't expect anything at all to be visible.

BTW I live in Southern Ontario, and these temperatures were really cold for this time of year, even in late January it isn't usually quite that cold.

Reply to
Rob Guenther
[Franz Bestuchev] (Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:46:09 -0700):

Do you drive with the hatch open?

If so, the manual says to run the fans full blast..

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Not unless something's being hauled, didn't see that spot in the manual but it makes sense to try and push as much air from the front as possible.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

It's an 850 and I did have the defrost switch on but this condensation was most definitely on the outside of the car.

I'm due for a 120k tune-up so perhaps it's just not burning the fuel as well as it should in the cold. Doesn't this engine also run pretty rich when first started, thought I read that somewhere.

We'll see how it does with new cap, rotor, plugs and all that.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Well water vapor is one of the main byproducts of combustion so this could be perfectly normal, might just need some wax or something on the rear window, dish detergent works well too (liquid) but probably won't last long outside.

Reply to
James Sweet
Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn