Fixing Rear Defroster on a 240

Hi, I recently bought an '88 240, and I've got a question for you guys. The rear defroster switch seems to have given out. It's a rocker switch that is supposed to stay down after being pushed, but now it springs back up. And even if I hold it down the rear window doesn't seem to defrost, and the light for the switch doesn't come on. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is it just a worn out switch? If not, what can I do to diagnose the problem? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me, so I can stop driving around with a foggy window. Please CC my email address if you reply. Thanks, Erik

Erik Douglas snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Abe Appleman

The switch behavior is normal, '83 and newer 240's have a timer switch on the rear demister so you press the switch and the light should come on and stay on for a set amount of time. If the light doesn't come on the first thing I would check is the fuse, even if the fuse is good they often get corrosion on the ends. Also you didn't specify whether this is a sedan or a wagon, if it's a wagon it's also *very* common for the wiring that runs through the tailgate hinges to break from the repeated flexing. Also sometimes the connector that plugs into the back of the switch develops some resistance from oxide buildup which causes it to heat up and melt, sometimes to the point that the wire falls out.

Reply to
James Sweet