88 240 DL - Defroster Switch Suggests Electrical Problem?

Hi, I've got an 88 240DL sedan which is giving me a little trouble. The rear defroster stopped working, and I noticed that the switch might have failed so I picked up a new switch from a junkyard. I then noticed that the fuse was blown, and I replaced both parts. But the new fuse, and two more after that, also blew just after being inserted. The first new one blew when I tried the switch, but the others blew without the switch being pressed. Does that indicate a more complicated electrical problem? Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks, Erik snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

PS: Thanks to Rojo2G for suggesting the Pick-your-part junkyard in Hayward, I got some nice stuff there this morning.

Reply to
Erik

You probably have a wire shorted somewhere, look at the back where they connect to the window to start with.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try pulling the relay out. It's white, and I think it's hanging around just behind where the switch is mounted. (Don't confuse it with the overdrive relay which is also white and just to the left of the glovebox.) Also make sure that whatever else is on the fuse is not causing the problem.

Reply to
Mike F