How to test S80 2 speed fan.

I have a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 that is overheating with the air conditioning on. I first suspected the thermostat, but was told there have been problems with the 2 speed engine fan. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the fan, before just getting a new one.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Post

With the ac on you should have a power going to the single purple wire when the ac is on this is the signal wire from the engine control module if there is power & the fan does not work there is your answer plus the fan may only run@ a low speed which means that the fan is on its way out there was a service campaign for this I do not remember what number it was but will look it up the campaign was # 110 you have to have your Volvo dealer check your vehicle vin to determine if your car qualifies for this service campaign if you can give a I-Mail Address I can send the bulletin to you Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Just saw something today about Volvo issuing a recall for something like this. Check with your dealer before you buy any parts.

Reply to
Steve & Amy Bernth

Got this off another forum. This may apply, so see your dealership. Best of luck.... Cam

DETROIT (Reuters) - Volvo Cars is recalling 460,000 vehicles globally because of defective radiator cooling fans that can overheat and cause fires, the automaker said on Monday.

The recall affects 1999-2001 model-year S60, S80 cars and the V70 and V70 Cross Country wagons.

Around 150,000 cars are being recalled in the United States, Volvo spokesman James Hope said.

Other large markets affected are Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.

Volvo is part of the Premier Automotive Group, Ford Motor Co.'s stable of luxury European brands.

The defective cooling fan units in U.S. cars have led to seven fires, Hope said. No injuries have been linked to the recall, he added.

Reply to
camshaft

Yesterday I contacted my local Volvo dealership (McDonald Volvo) and was told they DO NOT have any recalls and I should schedule an appointment, the cost will be approx $650.00 (I am out of warranty). Today armed with your replies I again spoke with the service advisor who said there is nothing they can do until Volvo prioritizes the recall and my VIN number is populated in the system. I called Volvo Customer Care line 1-800-458-1552 and was told with an existing problem I will be placed in the system. Called back my local Volvo dealership and will have the repair/replacement done at no cost on Tuesday. Hope these details will help someone else. Thank you all.

Reply to
Tom Post