Intermittant lag to starting 94 850

My 1994 850 started to have this little delay in starting every now and then.

An example would be yesterday I turned the key all the way to start it and it didnt try to start for maybe half to one second. Sometimes it seemed like it took a whole second before the starter motor would even turn over.

Today leaving work, I turned the key to start it and held it there, and nothing, no turn over no clicking nothing.

I let go of the key, and turned it to start again and it fired right up.

I went to the volvo dealer and talked to one of their techs who said it's probably the ignition switch so I went into the parts department to see if they had one and they are at my cost of $38.00 but I dont know that this will actually fix it, it's the electrical portion of the switch, supposedly it just plugs into the wireharness and bolts up to the key and tumbler unit.

Has anyone every experienced this problem before, and if so what was the solution, did you fix it yourself, was it rather easy?

I wouldnt mind taking a crack at replacing that part, but Im gonna wager that the two bolts that hold it on will probably need a special tool to remove them and or reinstall them, but I have been known to be wrong.

Any suggestions on this problem?

Thanks,

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.

Just noticed our 99 XC was taking a second or two longer to respond when the key was turned to start. Got progressively longer - Replaced the battery and it was back to starting right away.

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

No, but now that you mention it, I have noticed that in the past month I've had to depress the shift overlock button next to the gear selector once or twice. But usually when this happens you dont hear the normal "click" sound when depressing the brake. But in the last time this happened, I could hear the click noise from the safety switch.

But since these seem so related, I think I'll wait till this happens again where it doesnt turn over at all, when the key is in the start position then try to depress the shift overlock button while keeping the key in the start position and see if it turns over.

Thanks.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

Replacing this is just about the easiest job there is.

Mike F

I appreciate that, I was wondering if there was a writeup, and looks like all I have to get is a couple torx bits to do the job.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058