My tire/tyre recomendation for 850

('96 850 Turbo) I was running a set of Michelin MXV4+ Energy tires and I thought they were really good at first, very exspensive V rated tires... but soon I learned they hydro-planed fairly easily, not "off the roadway into the woods" type thing, but the steering would get "greasy" at even 55mph on a wet road, much less faster.

Also when cornering they would whine at good speed (60mph) on a fairly tight corner. Never lost traction but the did get whiny and a little "greasy" feeling....not reassuring. You could call my driving style... spirtited.

Long story short, after I only got 31k miles (NO tread warranty) out of a $800 set of tires I did some research...

snip snip

I got a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A in the standard P205 55R 16 size for the car... My god what tires!

Wet weather they grip the road like a cat. On those same corners at 75mph no whine at all and I could feel the G-force in my guts. Like being on a rail. They are V rated also but cost $100 (US) dollars less and have a 60k tread life warranty!!! Just wanted to share!

Peace.

Reply to
fred

"fred" wrote

Yeah, IMO, MXV4+ is one of the worst tires I've ever had. They were OEM on my '00 Accord V6. Their traction and lateral grip was non-existent, and they squealed like pigs every time I tried to take a corner faster, making me look like a rice boy. Snow traction - pretty bad, too. The only thing good about them was that they were rather soft and comfortable - I guess that was the purpose. Considering how much they cost new - it's ridiculous.

Try Pirelli PZero Nero M&S if you're looking for a more performance-oriented all-season tire with good grip.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I've got Energy MXV4+ on the 960, and they seem well suited to the car... They seem to have good grip in general, but no, they aren't a sporting tire and they weren't meant to be either... They're meant for luxury cars (and owners who drive them as such, I suppose). With the 960 they seem to encourage a little power slide from the rear end... which is always good fun (it always generates bewildered looks when people see a 10 year old 960 station wagon driving in a "spirited" manner around a corner or turning at an intersection... At 3/4 the speed limit) They never let the car get ahead of itself tho, they are competant... Never had a problem in wet weather, though I know they aren't perfect wet weather tires.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

"Rob Guenther"

Got these for my girlfriend's Jetta last year. They're awesome all around. They tend to get a bit soft on hot summer days, but you won't notice it unless you push them hard. Very impressive in the snow though - much better than my dedicated winter Michelin Pilot Alpins - yet another overpriced and mediocre Michelin product.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Glad to hear they're good in snow... I replaced some generic Kumho "Touring Radials" with these tires (the Nokians) after nearly spinning out a few times in snow (this made me think that the tires that came on my used car weren't so good even tho they were brand new)... I wanted a good true all season... Glad to hear I think I found it, i'm almost excited for the first snow fall so I can see how they do.

The ONLY downside to these tires are the relatively low treadwear life...

80K Kms I was told... and by the rate they're going I'll be getting 70K Kms if I'm lucky - tho I do corner hard with them... I can see a typical person getting 80-90K (tho a typical person would want almost double that...). Personally I think every few years, or 70K is fine.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

They're OEM on some Honda models and pretty well universally despised.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

"Rob Guenther"

Well, 70-80K km is a lot in my books. I'm used to getting 30K km from most of my high performance summer tires. There's also a direct relationship between treadlife and grip. Good grip = shorter treadlife, and vice versa. I think the WR offers a pretty good balance of both.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

My '95 850T came with the Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico. They handled nicely but they were soft. (They handled nicely _because_ they were soft, I think.) They wore out very quickly.

I replaced them with the Bridgestone 91V rated Potenza RE720. Excellent handling on wet roads and _much_ more durable.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry