Tyre ( tire ) noise !!!!

Put a new set of Michelin Synchrone tyres on my Freelander ( '98 i - petrol, wagon ) about 20,000 kms ago...but now they are back to the previous road raor I was getting before ! It's really loud on the freeways, even if just coasting with the clutch in, and engine idling..

Is this a problem with Freelanders ( as I've heard rumours ) or is it as the loacal LR dealer says, that the Michelin tyres are to blame ???

Seems strange to me that such a prestegious tyre company would produce such a dud tyre.... and that LR wouls still fit them as standard equipment too !

Any advice onwhat I can do here ?

cheers, Brian C

Reply to
Hi-Soft

In message , Hi-Soft writes

I can confirm it happens to goodyear tyres as well. The freelander has a habit of feathering the tyres which causes the noise.

Reply to
Marc Draper

so is there a remedy to this for the Freelander...or is it just another of it's design flaws ?

Reply to
Hi-Soft

In message , Hi-Soft writes

Not to my knowledge !

To my mind the 4wd system on a freelander has never felt right. During slow, parking speed, tight turns you can often feel the viscous coupling working against you. That should not happen.

As to whether that has anything to do with the tyre issue I cannot say.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Get yourself an old series, you won't be able to hear the tyres above the noise then :)

Reply to
Larry

In message , Hi-Soft writes

Snip>

You don't follow F1 motor racing then.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Hi-Soft writes

It's a feature - a design feature.

Reply to
hugh

Reply to
Hi-Soft

On or around Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:21:07 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. Mind, the bloke who complained about the springs that are now on mine being "noisy" was right, they are.

However, I'm working on it. Lube in the right places, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Look at the tread on the tyres. Is it wearing in a sawtooth pattern (i.e. more wear on the leading or trailing edge of each tread block, or wearing alternate tread blocks)?

Some tyres do this more than others (Pirellii P6000 are a disaster on my Volvo, Michelin alternative don't do it). Partly down to the car and partly down to the construction of the tyre according to the advice I've had from those in the know. Once it starts it accelerates as well as far as I can tell.

Freelander is known for irregular tyre wear - I think the advice is regular rotation.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

sounds right...thanks for the advice..

Reply to