No synthetic for break-in?

I've been reading a few articles on the net and it appears that gasoline engine should be break-in using non-synthetic oil.

Is this your opinion and/or experience?

Thanks.

Reply to
Someone

It's pretty hard to say definitively either way, however I would probably use regular oil for the breakin, it's cheaper anyway. That said, breakin isn't nearly as critical these days as it once was. Modern machining tolerances are much higher than they were in the old days.

Reply to
James Sweet

A high quality non-synthetic oil is best for breakin. Those who worry about it should use something like Castrol GTX for reassurance.

Reply to
mjc1

The 2008 XC70 Manual has absolutely no recommendation about breaking in, running in, or any other special precautions. It has been that way for many years.

Volvos, like most better cars, are broken it at the factory. Volvo has been doing this for decades. Hence, the first oil change is the normal one at 7,500. The only precaution I have been given by delivery agents for Volvos is to vary the speed when the car is first driven. Don't get on the Autobahn and drive at one speed for hour after hour. Change it up.

Here is what the manual does say:

"The oil level should be checked every time the vehicle is refueled. This is especially important during the period up to the first scheduled maintenance service."

"Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils."

"Synthetic oil is not used when the oil is changed at the normal maintenance services. This oil is only used at customer request, at additional charge. Please consult your Volvo retailer."

"Synthetic oils meeting SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperature extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas."

To answer the original question: Actually, every person I know breaks in their car with the oil that is in it when they buy it. There never is a recommendation of a breakin oil. It is already in the car. And Volvos never come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Actually, guys, the recommendation to vary the speed *is* the break-in recommendation. It's to let the rings seat properly. My 1986 Civic Si had the same instructions, plus a speed limit of I think 60mph for the first hundred miles or so. Volvo does *most of* the breaking in at the factory.

Reply to
mjc1

It's not so much broken in at the factory, as the machining tolerances are such these days that very little break in is required.

Reply to
James Sweet

Back in the day Volvo used to put the iron red engine blocks outside in their 'back yard' to age them a few months before machining them. I guess it resulted in better tolerances.

Reply to
mjc1

You are saying that in the old days when tolerances were much looser the break-in was important and today when the tolerances are much tighter it isn't. That doesn't compute.

What is true is that Volvo factories and others do have stands now where they break-in the engines before they are installed in the cars and they didn't formerly do that. Their sales literature has pictures of these stands.

So I think the tight tolerance may have forced them to do a break-in before installing in the vehicles. This also permits engines that prove defective to be reworked before being installed in a car.

Reply to
Stephen Henning