Radio - Interference/Noise On AM Band

My 2001 S80 HU-611 radio has worked perfectly on AM and FM and cassette tapes and with its built-in CD player as well as the trunk mounted 10-disc stacker since I bought it October of 2001.

Now, within the past 5 days it has begun to make a lot of noise on AM only.

I'm loathe to monkey with it myself. I wouldn't want to try to take it out of the dash because I'm positive something would break - like it did when I tried to change my "dipped" RH headlight bulb the other day. Besides that I hear it's protected by some kind of electronic code that would have to be reset in some mysterious way.

But it seems likely that the built-in antenna may have loosened up somehow. Or maybe it's something else.

Whatever it is, it's starting to piss me off. Any ideas? Easy to fix?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

This is a common problem on S80s. Volvo has several bulletins on this, with a multitude of fixes, including rear seat grounds and signal wires from electrical modules. If your warranty is still valid, it may be worth going to the dealer.

I saved this post from G Klein:

There is a fix for this problem yon have to remove the Left rear C-Post cover there you will see the antennae cable where it goes in to the signal amp use a razor blade remove a small amount of insulation from the radio connector you will need a length of wire to connect from the antennae cable to the body ground just below the antennae cable usually this solves most of your problems

Reply to
Mike F

Volvos new correction is to place a small brass strip in-between the ant amp & the cable make a slight bend toward the amp hold in place with a small piece of tape If you like I will retrieve the information from the Volvo service web site & if anyone would like a copy just post a way to receive & I will send to all who ask Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Glen I'd appreciate it. Just send it to my home e-mail address I used in the post: snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net

Thx,

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

Its on the way Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

We just took delivery of a 99 S80, and we're finding both AM & FM go to nothing but static whenever we turn on the rear window defogger. Will the antenna fix solve this problem, or is it something else entirely?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve P

It sounds like you have a loose connection @ the Left rear C-Post where the connections are made @ the rear glass Glenn