Best Spark Plugs? Wires ? // AM Radio Interference Noise ?

There are two questions here. I have a 1980 CJ-5, with V-8 engine. I cannot say when the plugs were last changed (years), and I think that the plug wires are original. I plan to change the plugs and wires soon. Is there a very good specific brand to use for this? I want real good quality parts if I am going to go to the trouble to do this.

Question 2-- my radio in this jeep suffers from terrible ignition noise while listening to the am band. FM is ok. I suspect the plug wires may be contributing to or causing this noise. Is there any other culprit I should be thinking about if that doesn't provide the full cure ??

Thanks for any helpful comments !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

James Nipper did pass the time by typing:

Good quality cap and rotor with brass fittings, not the crappy aluminum looking ones. Good resistor style spark plugs, and a good set of wires. They make RF supression core wires, those should be what you look for.

I use Bosch cap/rotor/wires and Autolite plugs. Works for me.

Does your 80 have points? :) Prolly not but just in case, there is a noise supression cap that goes in there. Looks like a little metal can with one wire on it.

Bad ground on the engine will cause lots of noise. Check your engine ground strap to see that it hasn't corroded away.

Reply to
DougW

I just went through this with my 99 Jeep Cherokee. The dealer did a

50K tuneup and I ended up going from a perfectly RF silent engine to a radio interference spark gap generator. I found that my problem was with the new distributor cap and rotor they put in. It was a very cheap cap with aluminum fittings and a carbon button center conductor. I replaced it with a distributor cap with a brass spring loaded center conductor and a brass type rotor and that cleaned up all the noise.

As someone said to me here in this forum, if the engine doesn't start with a pull cord, stay away from Champion plugs. I went with Autolites and they worked fine. I also used Autolite Professional Suppression wires, but to be honest, the Chrysler Mopar wires the dealer had installed seemed to be every bit as good, and had a few thousand ohms more resistance in each wire, which might mean even more supression at RF.

Good luck, I know it can be an irritating problem!

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Reply to
Ender

Exactly. This is why we have resistor spark plugs and carbon core ignition wires. :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Thank you very much for this info !!!

--James--