Volvo 740 Turbo with "shaved" housing with a hole in it ?

yeah, I know. The hose helped I guess (the hold one) because it was covering the whole somewhat.

So, if this is what happened---isn't this rare? I've yet to hear about something like this.

I don't know---it doesn't seem right.

Reply to
circuit slave

Thanks, Mike, I was just going to use the JB-stick and cover the whole, but that repair sounds more sufficient. I have JB-Weld --so your saying like buy the stick or the Kwik just just get it covered because the regular Weld needs cure time.

Well, thanks everyone. I'll let you guys know how it runs. I've gotta run around and I'll set it tonight.

Hopefully I'll be able to "move fast one a dime"

(as opposed to stopping on one, :P )

Reply to
circuit slave

The metal hose is supposed to be routed so it isn't touching the turbo, it probably got pushed in the way at some point, or the motor mounts may be shot and allowing the motor to move around.

Reply to
James Sweet

hmmm.. Yeah, someone mentioned the motor mounts previously. I'll look into that as well.

There is a metal band on the side that holds the heater hose--it was held in place but not securely.

Thanks for the info---oh and forgive all my misspellings. : )

Reply to
circuit slave

Do not forget to cover the hole with a small metal disc. Otherwise you are likely to get the epoxy inside and gum up your turbine. That thing spins over 100,000 RPM. You don't want to unbalance it.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Oh, yeah, I know Boris, thanks. I'm going to use a dime ; )

Reply to
circuit slave

I was browsing through my Turbobricks forum and stumbled on someone's project.that shows a turbo with a similar wear mark except that it has not gone through. Look at the third picture from the bottom

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

You mean the pic with the driver seat and that' s it?

hehe, just joking--- I know which one you were referring to. :P

I put the dime on with JB Kwik and will then seal it with the regular weld.

I'll post an updated pic when I'm done. Also let me ask you Boris, if you might know. Have you ever changed the oil seal from the oil return line on the turbocharger?

I gotta leak that's been like that forever (or should I say, the previous owner had). Is it difficult? I hear about being careful not to pinch the seal---I'm just hoping I can get to it with a rachet extension. I haven't tried yet, but I want to try tomorrow.

Reply to
circuit slave

No I have not (yet) Maybe someone here knows, else visit Turbobricks Maintenance and nonperformance section of the forum and ask there. You do not have to register.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Actually someone here said it was possible---I'm just trying to get some details.

thanks, I'll check there, too.

Reply to
circuit slave

Well, I drove it right now--just to see--I haven't set the regular Weld yet. But just to see, and it's helped alot! However, when I go into boost near the back of the car I still hear the flutter---what it sounds like ( only when going into yellow turbo on the guage) is what sounds like is a rapid drum roll sound ---it's like light rapid rain---like a snare drum roll rapidly with a wire brush.

Maybe an exhaust leak or something on the catalytic converter ? muffler ? I don't smell anything or exhaust fumes ?

BTW, there is light smoke smell on the engine. I think the oil trap is blocked. I pulled the oil cap loose and it jumps around. Who knows when that thing has been cleaned/changed.

Maybe that's why I got the oil leak on the oil return pipe.

Reply to
circuit slave

The real fun is when the old gasket sticks firmly to the turbo and you have to spend an hour scraping it off with a razor blade. Usually it's got enough oil soak to come off, once I had it stick very firmly, though thankfully the turbo was on the bench at the time.

Reply to
James Sweet

I didn't get around to it today---still need to change it---but before I do that I had to "buy some time" and cleaned the oil trap instead of replacing it. Man ! that thing was clogged like an artery ! The car had been smelling like it was burning oil--open the engine lid and you could see smoke. I even did the oil cap test and not only did it jump around it spit oil out.

Now nice suction ; ) I'll replace the oil trap soon--I don't think it has ever been changed or looked it. Man, what neglect this poor car had. I'll seal the hole later. I tested it out and maybe I shouldn't have--'cuz the JB kwik now looks like a scab beginning to peel. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to cure.

Reply to
circuit slave