1984 Rabbit GTI , Ground?

Got a 1984 Rabbit GTI, which needs to be jump each time to start it. I've replace the Starter , Alternator , belts, Spark Plugs, Battery Cables, Battery. Nothing seems to help. Once the car is started it runs perfect. Any ideas. thre must be a short some place or is there a Voltage regulator on this car? help..any ideas?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Does the alternator light come on when you go to start the car? If it does NOT there is a break in the exciter wire (the little blue wire) and the alt. may or may not decide to charge the battery.

Voltage regulator is integral with the alternator's brush holder if it is determined that that is the problem, and is easily replaced without too much disassembly (none other than its mounting screws, if your car does not have A/C)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

replace the Starter , Alternator , belts, Spark

started it runs perfect. Any ideas. thre must be a short

NOT there is a break in the exciter wire (the little

determined that that is the problem, and is easily

your car does not have A/C)

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Sounds Good I will check, Thanks.... and the for prevous question. It does not have AC. New Alternator & New Starter. I will also look for the blue wire.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

No Alternator light either, how ever the OIL light comes on when you start it ( another problem) until you hit the gas.. maybe something with the oil pump also?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

If the ALT light doesn't come on when the key is on then it's never going to charge.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Both are signs of a bad ground strap to the engine. No ground to the alternator means the alternator light won't come on (and the alternator won't charge if the light doesn't come on to excite the windings), oil pressure light shows that the ground isn't available for the sensor so the light goes on (your engine has two sensors, one that lights when it grounds and one that lights when it loses ground). Once you hit the gas it probably moves the engine enough in the mounts to make a ground (loose connection in the ground strap).

it ( another problem) until you hit the gas.. maybe

to bet it's broken. On these vehicles the battery

chassis to the engine. I had the same problem and

ground cable and never had another problem.

replace the Starter , Alternator , belts, Spark

started it runs perfect. Any ideas. thre must be a short

NOT there is a break in the exciter wire (the little

determined that that is the problem, and is easily

if your car does not have A/C)

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

If the other posts have not made it perfectly clear, the alternator has a ground strap. Yours will be trashed as old as the car is. I know it was on my 84 GTI. I made a new one out of some number 6 wire. You attach one end to the alternator and another end to the engine block. You then hook up a good voltmeter to read your charging voltage. It should be about 13.5 volts or higher when engine speed is up. You should also read your engine turned off current amps. It should just be a tiny trickle. You need a good voltmeter with an ampmeter to do this basic troubleshooting.

I thought the GTI had a voltmeter >Got a 1984 Rabbit GTI, which needs to be jump each time to start it. I've

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

As woodchuck said also, if the alt light does not come(on when you turn the key to on and/or start) there is a break on the blue exciter wire which will keep the car from charging.

mike

snipped-for-privacy@doesthisblockporkm> If the other posts have not made it perfectly clear, the alternator

Reply to
vwtopdown