1999 New Jetta GL running rough until warm

He guys, got an issue I can't fix on my 99 Jetta. The car spits, sputters, and hesitates when the gas pedal is pushed. However, 95% of the problem goes away once the car is warmed up. I've replaced the plugs and wires, cleaned the K&N air fliter, no dice. Any ideas before I take it to the dealership, and most likely get hammered in the wallet? It idles fine, so I don't know if it is a fuel problem or not. Thanks.

Reply to
jhutchcraft

wires would lead me to believe that it is not a 1.8t A GL might mean a 2.0l engine and not a VR6

Maybe Coolant Temperature Sensor. Or Ign coil is cracking (common issue).

Engine Check Light on? If not maybe it is the CTS A vag-com tool might help. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

the common cracking point?

Reply to
jhutchcraft

If you have the Bentley (ohm specifications) you can check your CTS with a Volt Ohm Meter, if you don't have a vag-com tool.

Not sure if you have the late '99 with the coil pack on the engine block, or the early '99 with just an ign coil by the brake master. I think this year has a split and if you tell us the Engine Code, that might help. ;-)

The early coil usually cracks near the wire terminal. I ONLY use the ones from the dealer since I have seen almost all of the aftermarket ones fail anywhere from 1 week to 1 year of running time. Those later ign coils crack everywhere and usually are effected by moisture. So to test yours, run your engine until it runs smooth and then mist it with water. Report your findings.

Might be fuel injector seals at the intake manifold which can be tested with some carb cleaner spray there watching rpm changes. A little SeaFoam cleaner in the gas tank shouldn't hurt either!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1