98 GT Jetta Running Rough

Hi all,

I need some help with my 1998 Jetta GT (2.0L) Canadian. It's running pretty rough and when accelerating it hesitates and jerks between 1000 and 2200 RPM. I'm thinking PCV valve so I called Canadian Tire to get a price on a replacement. They don't have one listed for that year or model. Does it have a PCV valve?. If not, can anyone give me any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Please respond to the group or to tevendaleAT sympatico.ca (replace the obvious)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

How'd you arrive at a PCV valve?

Could be lots of things. Did you rule out ignition problems? Does it do it only when cold or in damp weather?

Reply to
Matt B.

I think buying tools and a manual will help this newbie out. Google is also his friend. Guessing a PCV is a red flag for me since they do not have them. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

More than likely its an ignition problem. I have seen a lot of 2.0L engines where the coil pack goes for a crap & begins to arc across the connectors. Look for track marks on the top of the coil pack. Definitely not a pcv issue.

Reply to
CanadianCray

Upon further digging I found that there isn't a PCV valve. After taking a closer look when the car is running, I can see there is some arcing from one of the plugs/plug wires where it attaches to the spark plug on the second cylinder. Would that be a plug wire issue, plugs themselves or coil pack??

Again, thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If its arcing at the head on the end where it attaches to the plug its just a wire.

Reply to
CanadianCray