'84 GLI camshaft drive belt cover removal

I'm sure I'm missing something too simple, but I can't get the timing belt cover off of my '84 gli. It is a two piece cover with the upper half being held in place with the 2 end valve cover nuts, the lower half having two bolts holding it on. Where the two halves overlap, there is what Bently calls a 'socket-head flanged nut' that appears to hold the two halves together. Does it actually thread onto something? It seems that I have un-screwed it for hours and I still can't get the two halves off. I'd hate to use a screwdriver and hose things up big time. HELP.

Reply to
DWebber711

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Yes, the "nut" threads onto a stud sticking out of the cylinder head. If I recall correctly, the nut uses a 6mm allen socket. From what I remember, I had to use a flexible socket wrench to get the nut off because it was so close to the body of the car.

The nut should come completely off before the cover comes off. I suppose the stud or nut could be stripped, or the cylinder head could be stripped where the stud threads in.

Is the nut difficult to turn, or does it seem to spin freely?

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Yes. The fastener in question is actually screwed onto one of the four bolts that attach the passenger side engine mount to the engine. It just so happens that this particular engine mount bolt has a small threaded stud sticking up off its hex head. The round dohickey (the socket headed flanged nut...SHFN) screws onto it.

If the SHFN thing is going round and round when you try to loosen it, then it is likely that the engine mount bolt beneath has vibrated loose and is acutally unscrewing rather than the SHFN. As you probably know, that engine mount collapses in old A1 cars and gives rise to some pretty heavy vibration. I have found one or more of these bolts loose on several of my A1s. Try this: put a jack under the engine and jack it up. This will put a twisting strain on the engine mount bolts and may hold the offending bolt firmly enough that you can unscrew the SHFN.

If all else fails, I guess you will have to cut or break it off or cut through the TB cover.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin

Thanks, It appears that the stud has unscrewed from the block, thus screwing me. I'm going to get a good cut off disk for my Dremmel to cut the upper half of the cover in order to remove it and then being able to get to the stud, re mount it in the block and get a replacement cover. I guess this is prone to happen in a 20 year old car.

Reply to
DWebber711