84 Jetta transmission removal

Need a little advise. I am taking out the tranny on my 84 Jetta GLI (1.8L +

5spd). Replacing the clutch. I have all of the bolts out and it is basically sitting on the jack. I have a homemade engine suspender crossbar thingy holding the engine up from the top. What is the best way to actually get the tranny out of there. Obviously the tranny mainshaft has to slide out of the engine, but it looks like the engine\tranny have to be tipped considerably to get clearance. Bentley says to "rotate" the transmission, but I don't see how that will help. Anyone BTDT?

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I usually support the engine and "bench-press" the transmissions in and out. If you are not strong enough then yes use a transmission jack or other suitable device to allow you to rotate the trans while lowering or lifting it. If you have everything disconnected (including the speedo cable and ALL LINKAGES) you might have to rotate the transmission CCW or bring the differential up some. Remember not to let the trans rest on the mainshaft and make sure the engine is supported well.

***** The problem will be getting the RS axle flange to clear the flywheel. You could also remove it if you plan on changing those seals also. That should make that transmission R&I easier. I have had to sometimes adjust the height of the engine also.

WATCH YOUR FINGERS PLEASE!!! GOOD LUCK!

dave

Kevin,

No idea if you're running into the same issues I did on my A2 when I put a trans in it recently... I had to lift on the "front" (where the belts are) end of the motor to 'tip' it so that there was enough clearance to slide the tranny back to get the shaft out. Once that was done it came right out. Install required the same 'tip' of the engine.

You'll need a second pair of hands or a floor jack to tilt the motor...

Hope that helps, Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison