'97 Jetta coolant flange help

Need to replace the coolant flange on a '97 Jetta GL 2.0L engine, yeah I ordered a Bentley manual but in the meantime I could use some help. Is there a petcock to drain the coolant or do you just remove the lower hose? Looked around and did not see a petcock. I removed the two 10mm nuts holding the backet that filts over the flange, is there a trick to removing this, I didn't see any thing else holding this part. If anyone has a url for VW repairs or technical message boards, please post.

TIA, Herb

Reply to
Ramcke545

I have found removing the thermostat to be an easy way to drain the coolant on an A2 and it gets more old coolant out than just removing the lower hose.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Unless you really want to drain all of the coolant, just remove the plastic flange and replace it and top off the coolant then again when the engine warms up.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Reply to
Ramcke545

I replaced the O rings and clips, Removed the heater hoses and flushed the heater core, flushed the entire system and refilled with new VW coolant. I found that there was air trapped in the heater core, so loosening the heater hoses and slipping them off just a bit relesed the trapped air. The heat is terriffic now and all is well except the overflow ball has a small leak at the seam. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Ramcke545

There is a hole just above the max limit that allows coolant overflow to leak out. That hole is near the upper strut side. FYI there might not be a seam leak.

Reply to
Peter Parker

That is exactly where the collant leaks out, thanks for tip, you just saved me $30.00 and a bunch of time. Thanks again!!!

Reply to
Ramcke545