A2 Jetta dash light

Hi:

I've noticed recently that there is no light on the RPM meter (to the right on the dash) on my Jetta (1992 TD), where as the light on the speedometer (left on the dash) looks normal. Is it easy to replace the bulb in the dash? Anyone have step-by-step instructions?

Thanks,

AJ.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Randolph

You have to pull the whole instrument cluster to replace that one bulb.

You have to start by pulling off the bezel/trim around the cluster this also goes around the radio, etc.

Then you have to unhook the speed cable from the back of the cluster.

To do that you have to reach behind the clster and it has two clips that you push in holding the back of the cable to the cluster.

Then you remove the screws holding the cluster in.

Then you unplug the etetrical connection to the back of the cluster.

Then you pull out the cluster.

Then you find that &*%$# blub, twist it out and do the reverse to replace it all.

It's easy but just takes time.

Here is a step by step link with pictures.

Dave

I wouldn't say it's easy, but rather quite involved. First remove the steering wheel. This will give you easier access to the gauge cluster and help in removing the dash face panel. Next, remove the dash face( remove all screws that hold in the panel and the heater control levers, some screws are behind switches) Next, remove screws holding in the gauge cluster, this unit will now pivot back and forth on a rod. Flip cluster forward and detach speedo cable from the rear(large white clip in back). Pull cluster out and look for black rubber plugs with two wires coming out of them. These are the bulb holders. Simply unplug the old bulb and replace with new ones. The reassembly is just the reverse. When I did this it took a shit load of time because I didn't remove the steering wheel. It really impedes moving the gauge cluster into a position that allows access to the rear of the gauges. Hope this helps, the manuals certainly didn't.

Reply to
prasina2