Bad Coil Pack??

I pulled the following DTCs from my friends '98 GTi VR6 :

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 259 N Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M5.9 HS V03 Software Coding: 00000 Work Shop Code: WSC 00066

5 Faults Found: 16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16690 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected P0306 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16690 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected P0306 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent 16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Does this point to a problem with the coil pack? He stated that the car really only acts up if it is raining or very damp out...... Is it possible for moisture to accumulate in the coil pack and cause it to malfunction? If so, are there any seals that can be replaced to remedy the problem?

Reply to
Dennis Hoffa

start it up and start spraying the spark plug wires with water from the plugs first but don't get the coil pack wet yet. Let it run for a few minutes to see if it has bad wires. If the engine starts running poorly then at least the wires are bad. Change them first and then do the same test and then do the coil pack. If it acts up then either replace it or I think someone has written up how to seal it with epoxy.

my $0.02 and hopefully not all of yours. lol

dave