Golf TDI ... intermittent starting problem ...

Hi there from a newbie... be gentle

1996 golf TDI (the most reliable car by far I've owned-I've had quite a few)

an intermittent starting problem has developed with the golf over the past couple of weeks

it first came on and happened only once every two/three weeks or so

and then more lately it can happen twice in a day

the faulty start NEVER happens when the engine is COLD

engine is easily turned over by the starter motor (battery good)

I've changed the air filter and fuel filter and checked elect. conn's - no joy

to cut a long story short the only sign of success was when I ... ran a wire from the fuel cutoff solenoid valve to the battery pos. and crocodile clipped it to the plastic shroud on the pos battery terminal in readiness for a faulty start

when the next faulty start came on ...I clipped to the battery pos ... and voila

I was able to start the car from the ignition...

and ...performing a double check I took off the clip from the battery pos and it refused to start.

so far so good ... the fuel cutoff solenoid valve was not getting a 12 V. feed.on startup...

the haynes manual elect. diagram is showing the sol valve fed direct from the ignition

this would point to a dodgy ignition switch (years ago these were quite possible)

but also a local mechanic told me that this model has an air flow meter in the circuit somewhere

and there is in fact an air flow relay and associated gear on the car

where could I possibly view an authentic elect. diagram for this model showing interlocking circuitry

Has anyone had similar probs along these lines ??

Reply to
john.rowntree

It sounds like the antishudder valve.Check it,and and your intake to see if either one needs cleaning. Since you drive a TDI,you should become a member of the TDI Club. You'll learn most everything that you need to know about TDI's on that site :

forget it