Green Plug for Timing Marks 2.0L Engine

'97 Jetta 2.0L. I'm having trouble removing the green plug on the flywheel housing to view the crankshaft timing marks. I tried prying it with a screwdriver, but the plug looks like it's cracking. I don't know if this is 'cause it's baked on (110K miles) or if I'm not doing it properly. I'm sure this is something stupid I'm missing, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
rc

The one on my '83 GTI unscrews (it's threaded). Might try turning it counterclockwise.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

The green plug pulls out, but the white housing around it unscrews. Try doing it with the engine warm, or if thats not possible, use a heat gun or hair dryer on it.

Mike

Reply to
MVGESQ

You can get big bolts at a tractor or diesel repair place. An old el cheapo spark plug or lug socket from an old air cooled VW or similar will probably fit it, if you have one. Or one of those "stem" sockets that you use for replacing stems in showers and tubs might fit. Otherwise, you can try to turn it with "channel lock" pliers. Or you could cut or file two notches in the rim of the plug and put something flat in the notches to turn the plug.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin