Heater Core Replacement in Rabbit

Hi

I have a 1984 GTI Rabbit WITHOUT air conditioning.

I need to replace my heater core.

I've searched through previous post and am still not clear on the procedure.

Does the heater box need to be removed or can I just take a side panel off of the heater box to gain access to the heater core.

Past posts have been confusing as them mentioned that the heater box does not have to be removed but I am not sure if that is for cars with AC or cars without ac.

Thanks

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

never had to do this on the three early 80's rabbits i had and I drove the one till last March. But both my manuals, say the unit needs to be removed from under the dash.

Reply to
samstone

I think I have done one and don't remember removing the unit but times gets away from me. lol

You will need to remove the hoses and pull them through the firewall, remove that heater core cover and see if it clears the pedals when you try pulling it out.

Now that is one heater core that will burn the driver's legs if it bursts!

8^o

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1