Help. Looking for tips on where to mount fog lights 90 Golf

Hi, I have an old pair of Cibie 95 fog lights I'd like to mount on my '90 Golf. I've scouted out possible mounting locations and the best compromise seems to be to drill a couple of holes on top of the bumper. The motor vehicle regulations in British Columbia require fog lights to be "below the headlamps". The top-of-bumper mounting probably won't satisfy that requirement as the fog lamps won't be fully below the headlamps. But it seems mounting on the bottom of the bumper puts the lamps in a vulnerable position to hitting things. Other postings talk about cut-outs in the bumper or in the tow hook hole, but these lamps are too big to mount in the c-channel of the bumper or in the tow hook holes.

Anyways, wondering what other people have done for mounting fog lamps and if there's a better position than top of bumper?

I'd primarily use the lamps as driving lights on in frequent long haul night drives. I also would not leave the lamps on full time, instead put them on those few times a year when I anticipate needing them. On my old '73 Fastback I had 2 angle brackets mounted on the bumper and it took a couple minutes to mount the lights and plug in the power. It was really nice on those long night drives to have the road bathed in light.

Wiring is not an issue. The car has DRL so the parking light illuminate when the ignition is on. And I'll put a 10amp fuse before the dash switch and a 20amp fuse between the relay and lamps.

PS. I can email photos of the bumper and lights.

thanks in advance,

-Tony

In that year the bumper is the "small" bumper that is a metal c- channel encased in plastic.

I'll wire in a relay

The wiring part

Here in British Columbia the Motor Vehicle regulatos

Reply to
tonyw