How to refill A/C on '01 Jetta?

Hi,

My 2001 model year Jetta has had poor AC for a while now. I assumed it's simply low on the refrigerant, and bought one of the refill kits with gauge.

My problem is finding the low-pressure port on the AC system.

The directions on the can, and in my Hayes manual, both say to locate the filling port on the low-pressure side of the AC, returning from the dash area to the compressor. The Hayes manual even says that it will be the larger of the two pipes. The Hayes manual does not have a picture of where the port should be.

I see no sign of any port, or any connector of any kind, on that tube. It's the right tube, I think, as it is cold when the AC is running and is the larger of the two.

There is a port, with a dust cover over a fixture that looks like a pressure fitting, on the smaller, high-pressure side of the AC system. That tube is hot when AC runs (as I would expect). But both can and manual say 'DO NOT...' about using the high-pressure side.

Can anyone help who has refilled AC on a Jetta, or similar? Could the refill port be on the cabin side of the firewall, and if so how could I get to it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
monsler

The low pressure service valve is the smaller of the two valves. The valves can be found adjacent to each other, right before the expansion valve against the passenger side firewall. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Madesio

Are they differently sized, such that if my refill kit fits the port that I can find, it must the correct one?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
monsler