radiator replacement -95 Golf

Son's girlfriend's '95 golf has a radiator split and it has to be replaced. I've replaced several radiators on Honda's before and it is simply a matter of removing the fans, hoses, lower splash shield and lifting out the radiator, dropping in a new one.

Mechanic is telling her that on her golf it is a major job and some major componet on the front end has to be removed requiring four hours of additional labor. She's asked me for advice, but I've never done a golf and don't have the car close by to see what is in the way.

Can anyone who has replaced a radiator on a 95 golf please comment on what the steps are and what has to come off to get the radiator out.

thanks

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

It's a bit engine related but in general it's just as easy as on the honda.

SFC

"Frank Boettcher" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
SFC

Reply to
none2u

Didn't do the radiator, but the fan motor. Had to pull off the front cross member (grill, bumper, etc) to get enough room to move stuff enough to get the fan motor out. The service manual said to empty out the AC system and disconnect everything, but I just carefully set the assembly to the side. I'd have to go out and look to refresh my memory, but I suspect it's the same for the radiator. OK... I'll check... Yep.

When I did it folks here told me I didn't have to, that there was room to wiggle it out. Well, maybe if you win the build tolerance lottery, but there wasn't on mine.

You might go check the DIY's over at

too. I don't remember seeing one on this, but I wasn't looking for it.

While they're in there, have 'em replace the fan belt and all the coolant hoses if they haven't been done lately. They're MUCH easier to do with all the crud out of the way. They should cut you a break on that part of the labor.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

If a picture is worth a thousand words.........here are a couple of pictures of a 94 Jetta radiator replacement job.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

That is insane vwdoc1. Another reason I'll be driving Mk1 VWs and fixing them myself until I'm rich enough to afford that Ferrari.

Reply to
tylernt

Yup. That looks familiar. 'Twas the most difficult thing I've done to the car, replacing that fan motor. Yuk. It's surprising since most of the car seems made to be easily worked on.

Overall tho', the hard part is getting the grill out without busting it's clips. After that, the cross member is big and bulky. You really need another person to help guide it back on.

Took me the better part of a weekend, including running for parts across the Metro area to the only place in town that had one and was open Sunday.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

none2u