plug gap for 95 golf 1.8l

Hi ppl.. just got a used golf and want to do a bit of maintenance..

the manual shows bosch fr8ds as proper plug well evrywhere i go they don't know about/have this plug.. they gave me the autolite platinum ap63 as correct spec which assume/hope are correct for this I am not all that great at auto stuff, and plugs say: Important! gap these plugs yourself well i have some feeler gauges for the correct gap but the plugs have a way bigger gap than my research tells me

can someone tell me the correct gap or can i use these right out of the box?

soem data off the net suggested 0.024" or 0.6mm gap but these plugs are about at 0.30" (.76mm)

Is the gap important enough for me to adjust it?

thx ppl

Pat

Reply to
Lao Peng

The correct plug has 2 earth electrodes in that engine. Single electrode will work ok but last less miles and run slightly less efficiently.

its very important, but 0.8 mm sounds fine. 0.6 is for older points systems.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

FR8DS are the plugs for the ABA 2.0 engine.. i don't remember now the correct plug for the 1.8 engine... try google search.

T.-

"Eduardo K." escribió en el mensaje news:dfuh77$vb5$ snipped-for-privacy@enriqueto.nn.cl...

Reply to
Gustavo Arriagada

I just called my local parts dealer... for a 1.8 engine his Bosch catalog specifies no longer mentions the 2 electrode plug and now specifies a 4 point plug part code 'wr8ltc+4' and a one electrode '8r8tc+' and both come gapped...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

thx

Reply to
Lao Peng

hmm... i'm pretty good at websearches but can find only other years and other models...

the owner's manual may be for both sizes engine... but if they require different plugs they should f-ing say so... there's only this fr8ds mentioned in there...

suppose my volks dealer will tell me "we have the correct plugs ourself if you pay like 12 dollars a plug" ;-)

Reply to
Lao Peng

thanks for this info... it's totally new to me that theres any plugs that are any different than each other in number ogf electrodes...

but thanks.. i just want to do the right thing by this car..

theres seems to be a little more hush hush proprietary stuff going on with vw's tho eh? not just heading over to your generic parts place and get standard parts..

kinda scary.. I don't have piles of cash to get the dealership to do everything...

Lao

Reply to
Lao Peng

Your stealership is a very funny place indeed.

I never had such a problem. You can buy those spark plugs from VW (and you will get the same Bosch or NGK plugs with both NGK (or bosch) and VW logo on them), or you can ask VW to look up the correct type in the part catalog (VW catalog lists both VW and BOSCH/NGK/CHAMPION aftermarket codes) and buy them elsewhere. Or ask them to show you one plug, look up the aftermarket code yourself, and give it back saying that it does look different from those in your engine :)

As for your manual, do not forget, it was printed 10 years ago. Those plugs could be out of production and superceeded by some other model. Or there is a possibility, that this particular model is somehow "exotic" in your part of the world.

And by the way: there A LOT of fake plugs floating around, selling for something around $3-5, looking like real, but nowhere near in terms of quality. As far as I know, there is no modern plug, which would need any gap adjustment (at least, not for use in a '95 car). It if does need it, I would say, it is a fake.

And the price of original Bosch/NGK/Champion plugs will be not very much different from that at VW.

Reply to
draugaz

thx..now thats some pretty good advice in there...

don't know why fancy plugs would have that on the box...maybe they just want stickler types to note that not every plug may be 100% dead on..

LAO

Reply to
Lao Peng

This would be a clear indication against those plugs, as it is a real evidence of a shitty quality.

The normal modern (not faked) plugs are coming with a correct gap and do not need any adjustment in the whole life. In fact, if it is a plug with 2 or 3 electrodes, there is no civilized way to manually adjust it, as the electrodes are very stiff and do not bend so easily.

If you post the code of your engine, I could probably lookup the correct type of the plugs.

Reply to
draugaz

how can you tell by looking how many electrodes...

all plugs i ever saw were the knob on the end you attach the cable... and the other end having the little L-shaped thing and a terminal in the middle...

i will do just that... thanks alot..!

Reply to
Lao Peng

btw, is this ng moderated by VW company people or is it a free for all like many other groups...?

(i.e. VW enthusiasts who just need a place to share info) heheh

Lao Peng (fake name btw) ;-)

(i need it for some other groups where the idiots will track you down and post idiot shit on yer website and "out" you in the group...which ain't that good in a illegal binaries group ;-)

Reply to
Lao Peng

Free of course. And VW company people of course are free to read it :)

Do not overestimate your importance, "they" do not care if your name is john or ali abdula or whatever :)

Reply to
draugaz

Simply count those L-shaped things. There are versions with one (the old classic spark plug), two, three and four of them. There are also some exotic types of spark plugs, which are not so common. And of course, each version has a lot of different types.

For example, my VW engine (1.8 '93) requires spark plugs with three electrodes. It looks like this:

draugaz