Replacement mirrors, '87 Scirocco

The mirrors in my '87 Scirocco are going bad. The silvering on the backs is "rotting."

I've got new mirrors from a mirror supply house and was told that the easiest way to get the old ones out was to just break them.

Well, that seems OK, except that the current mirrors have defoggers that go on with the rear window defogger. There's no mechanism on the backs of the new mirrors, so I guess the mechanism is in the housing itself, perhaps pressed up against the backs of the mirrors.

Is just whacking them with a hammer going to foul up the defoggers? Is there a better procedure? Do I have the wrong mirrors and there SHOULD be connections to the backs of them?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Just a guess but if they are anything like my '91 GTI and my '00 Eurovan, the glass is glued to a plastic backing which in turn snaps into the mirror housing and that backing will have a wire going to it for the defoggers. The mirror/backing is removed on my GTI and Eurovan by adjusting the mirror all the way to one side (so you can get your fingers behind it) and you pry gently and it'll eventually unclip. Once out you pull the wire off. Buy new mirror glasses (will come attached to new backing panels) from your dealer and installation is reverse of removal.

Reply to
Matt B.

That's about what the procedure was on my wife's van, except that the glass pops out of the backing once you get it free of the housing. The "backing" is more of a "carrier" as it has the mountings for the motor mechanism. When it's in the housing it's too rigid to allow the mirror to be inserted or removed, but once it's free of the housing it's just flexible enough to get the glass in or out.

I'll stop by VW and get them to show me what their version of a replacement mirror for the car looks like on the display. That should settle it.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary