02 2500HD

Well, I finally went and done it. Bought the 02 2500HD LS 4x4. 6.0 Gas. Crew Cab.

Have been needing a good 3/4 ton truck to tow my camper, and the time was right financially, so jumped on one.

Now, what can anyone tell me about these trucks? Id like to know where I can decipher the codes in the glovebox.

Heard somewhere that a trailer brake actuator is hardwired in this truck? Can anyone verify or disprove this?

Any usefull info appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

Reply to
Shelldigger

You can check the RPO codes at

Under the dash to the left of the steering column is a plug. The plug is under a black plastic cover with a plastic nut holding the cover on. You should have gotten a pigtail with your truck, as it came with one when new, that will plug into the plug under the dash. The other end of the pigtail will wire to any brake control. I bought a Reese TowPower Pod Electric Brake Control off eBay and am happy with it. You can mount it under the dash anywhere you like. You also need to install a fuse in the fuse panel under the hood to provide power to the pigtail.

Good luck, Karl

Reply to
Silverado

On the sheet, you will find axle ratio option codes. If it has a GT4 it is a 3.73 (poor choice for towing with a 6.0 in a CC). If it has a GT5 it has a 4.10 which i consider minimum for towing . If you have larger than stock tires, towing abilty is reduced. Also if there is a G80 on list it has a GovLoc LSD rear differentail. One more thing, I have a freind that bought a new 2005 2005 HD CC and he was very disapointed with rear suspension (he tows a big dual axle work trailer with 5200 lb axles a lot) so when it was a week old we added more leafs to it in the rear in my 'garage' with my air tools to improve its load abilty. When GM came out with 2500HD, they reduced the amount of springs in rear to improve ride for sales so in someways there is nothing HD about the 2500 HD when it comes to load capacity. Also it is not better spring material either as they are same type and style as older model, just less of them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well, no pigtail....figures. Only 50 bucks from a Chevy dealer. Got to have it so I ordered one, insert favorite curse words here.

That link is awesome, thanks!

Thanks a lot Karl, big help.

Charles

Silverado wrote:

Reply to
Shelldigger

Well, its got the 4.10 rear, posi (limited slip), oil cooler, trans cooler. All things considered it should do what I need and then some.

I noticed one of the codes showed "Chassis/ High Yield Firm Ride" Wonder if your buddies truck showed a different code for a lighter spring load? Just a thought...

Thanks,

Charles

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to