1998 Blazer wiper module fix discovery

I have a 1998 Blazer that exhibits the common intermittent windshield wiper problem. I attempted to do the repair on the circuit board connector/solder joints. All instructions I have seen for this repair state that only three #15 torx screws need to be removed and the module cover will come off.

I removed the three visible screws and my cover simply would not come off. So by using a small dental mirror, a flash light and a lot of contortions, I discovered that my 1998 Blazer cover has FOUR screws. It is almost impossible to align the torx driver/ratchet with the screw and if I could get it out it would be impossible to get it back in place after the repair was made. It looks like the only way to get at this fourth screw is to remove the ABS unit. That could easily be a disaster.

I always wondered why the 1998 and 1999 Blazers were not covered by this recall. Up to 1997 and again starting with 2000 this recall was honored. I suspect that the 1998 and 1999 models have four screws in the cover and repairing/replacing them would be too expensive. I also don't understand why GM didn't just correct the original problem instead of coming up with these Mickey Mouse fixes.

If GM wants to know why the Japanese manufacturers are kicking their butts they need look no further than the Blazer situation and while they are at it, why don't they move the fuel filter under the hood where Subaru has their's.

A.J.

Reply to
AJay