Windshield Wiper System Fix

All,

I've got an '82 Scrambler, and it goes through wiper motor links (the short piece between the wiper motor and the left-hand wiper) every year or two. I can tell that there's stress on the link when the wiper changes direction, but no amount of wiper motor position adjustment eliminates it. I even tried expanding the range of adjustment.

After replacing the arm again, and tossing around a few ideas, I noticed in my 4WD catalog that the older Jeeps ('41-'68) seem to use one motor per wiper blade, and a direct drive mechanism. Has anyone tried fitting these to a newer CJ? From the catalog, I can't tell the dimensions of the motor or the wiper arm.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael White

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I had that trouble on my 86 when I changed windshield frames.

The aftermarket frame doesn't have the drivers side hole for the wiper pivot arm in the correct place so the link to the motor has extreme stress on it and even jams up popping the bushings out of place and bending things.

I made a temporary fix by adjusting the hole and using a large stainless washer I modified with my dremil tool as a backing plate. This made the motor arm last 3 or 4 years, then it jammed out again and once again bent the front plate of the frame.

This time I had my old frame still at the back of the garage so I cut out the old heavier metal 'hole' out of it with a 4x3" chunk and cut out the thin metal from the new frame so I could put the old hole in the right place.

It is now working great with no stress on the arm or bushing.

Mike

Michael White wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain