2000 Silverado Intermediate Steering Shaft Failure

I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 4x4. Noticed some steering play over the past week. Looked under the hood and wiggled the steering shaft where it comes
out of the firewall and it is pretty loose.
I have the info needed to replace the shaft - my question is can this shaft catastophically fail - while I am driving down the road - lose steering ability? I ask because I may not get a fix done for a few days.
Thanks for your responses.
Karl

Never seen one actually come apart. Check with the dealer, there used to be a recall on those shafts. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM