Intermediate steering shaft on '99 dakota.

99 Dakota 3.9L, 5 speed, 106k on the clock.
Went to the dealership today to have the front end checked because I noticed there was a fair amount of play in my steering wheel. Service
writer was pretty cool; he told me he had a '99 Dakota too. Anyway, he told me that the Intermediate steering shaft was loose. Price tag was 334.63 + tax. My question, is this a difficult part to replace? I have done the majority of the work on my truck. (ball joints / tie rod / alternator / wheel bearing assembly, etc). I'm no mechanic, but I do like to save money whenever possible. Has anybody ever done this replacement, and if so, any special tools necessary?
--
Regards,
Slick Willy

Not especially... just a little tight to work in, but it's basically a pinch bolt down on the steering box, and one at the top of the intermediate shaft/bottom of the steering column. No special tools are needed, just a good set of socket extensions and probably a universal joint. Check either Borgeson of Flaming River - two companies that make much better-quality aftermarket shafts than the stocker (it's all in the quality of the joints/needle bearings).

Thanks for the info. I have been looking into the aftermarket parts ...
--
Regards,
Slick Willy

Site Timeline