Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft

Greetings,

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD crewcab with the diesel and Allison tranny and recently bagan to notice some clicking in the steering linkage when making slow, sharp turns (like in navigating in and around a parking lot). I took the truck to my local dealer and after looking at it they told me it was the intermediate shaft in the steering. They are ordering the part (about 1-2 weeks) and they are covering the repair under warranty so the only thing I'm out is a day in the shop - no biggie.

My questions are - is this a common problem, and will the replacement part truly fix the issue without me having to have it done all over again in another 15,000 miles?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Very common problem, and it's been around ever since the new style trucks were built. I'm surprised that they are ordering a new shaft, maybe there is a different procedure on the 2004 trucks, but usually GM just wants us to re-grease the slip yoke section of the shaft. I'd be surprised if the new shaft fixes the problem permanently, unless they have actually decided to re-design the shaft properly instead of just wanting to re-grease it every year.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Are we talking about a shaft that runs from the steering column to the steering gear box or part of the linkage that physically pushes the fronts wheels from side to side? Please describe how to grease the slip-yoke - is there a zerk fitting or something that I can do myself when I change my oil and where it is exactly located. I hit all the zerks I can find on the steering components, etc. when I change the oil as part of the routine self-maintenance every 5000 miles, but maybe I'm missing one (or two).

Thanks for your time.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

It's the shaft that runs from your steering column to the box. It has an inner and outer section, inner section slides within the outer section. You pull the shaft out, and using a special kit that GM has, you force grease into the two sections of the shaft. You need a press to do this properly. I wouldn't worry too much about it if your are getting a new shaft.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

They dealer lubed the steering shaft on my 2000 GMC Sierra SLE at around

20000 km. At about 40000 km or less it started acting up again. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft and it has been quiet ever since. 69000 kms on the clock now.

-Glenn

Reply to
DaNewf

There is a TSB with a new design for the shaft. That's probably what they ordered.

Reply to
JohnJ

Reply to
JohnJ

Ian, Does this apply to the '99 new body style 1500's? My intermediate shaft doesn't appear to have a slip joint. It looks solid from the column to the u-joint with accordian-like crush areas at each end. H

Reply to
Hairy

Yes, it applies. Here is the relevent bulletin:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003G - (Oct 22, 2004) Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1999-2003 GMC Sierra 2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 2003 HUMMER H2

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer / TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy / Envoy XL / Envoy XUV or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that it is acceptable to service the intermediate shaft with Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 until sufficient inventory of the replacement intermediate shaft part numbers become available from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003F (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction Important:

a.. It is critical that when using Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 to service the intermediate shaft that ALL the service steps below are followed completely. b.. Failure to follow the service procedure below will result in a repeat repair. c.. DO NOT attempt to lubricate the intermediate shaft with the shaft partially mounted in the vehicle. d.. The intermediate shaft MUST be cycled an adequate number of times obtain the proper grease displacement.

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai