2002 S-10 4.3 - one lifter tapping on startup - WTF?

Engine has done it since day one.

Now at 31k miles, it's not any worse or better. Fairly quiet on the initial cold start, no noise under normal operation, but one lifter clacks like hell after the engine has been fully warmed-up then restarted after a

15 minute hot soak. It suddenly gets quiet after 30-45 seconds of operation.

No lash adjustment on this engine? What were they thinking?

The dealer techs are deaf, apparently. Either that, or myself and the prospective S-10 buyers who turn up their nose at my truck all have very acute hearing!

I've got a few months of warranty left to duke this out.

RM

Reply to
richard6121

Well you have it documeted now so when it's out of warrenty and it's still not fixed, GM should be liable to get it right.

Reply to
Mark

BTW: We've noticed on newer GM trucks with the v-8's that they will actually knock--like in crankshaft knock--when started back up, hot, after a

15-minute resting. AND, we've seen them still knocking at well over 100k on the odom. And, no, the M-M-Oil won't help that!
Reply to
sdlomi2

Bad lifter. Slightly out of tolerance, leaks down, doesn't re-seal quickly enough on startup, blocked by a bit of grit... who knows.

That hydraulic lifters, when properly working, don't need any lash adjustment. Just like millions of other hydraulic lifter engines.

Reply to
Steve

Could this have anything to do with the fact that many manufacturers now recommend 5w-30 oil to be used, instead of good ol' 10w-40?

Reply to
Sportster4Eva

You must be using piss-poor oil filters, the cheapo ones (like the Fram's) have poor anti-drainback valves, and when the engine is hot and you shut it down, the oil all runs back into the pan. Try a Purolator and see if the problem goes away.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

anyone ever use diesel fuel as engine flush before changing oil? Someone told me to try it. I use engine flush on every oil change. He's a farmer and uses diesel fuel to flush every engine he owns before an oil change. Just curious. Btw, my S-10 has a pinging and knocking too, but I think its just piston slap, it sounds just like a 6 Liter when you first start it till it warms up.

Reply to
KU

IMO, it's a good way to destroy an engine. As long as you change oil regularly, there should be no need for any sort of flush... waste of time an money not to mention contributing to excessive engine wear and clogging up oil passages.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

Yes, cleaning stuff is bad. That's why I never clean my underwear. The skid marks in my shorts add to the longevity. You shouldn't clean .22 rifles either, it will destroy the accuracy.

GMC Greml> >

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

"GMC Gremlin" floridly penned in news:dY7td.1044531$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Don't clean your black powder guns either, otherwise you'll miss that cool "potholed road" effect you'll get in the barrel.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Over the three years that I've owned the truck, I've run Purolator, AC Delco, Fram, and Autozone's Proline. No difference in behavior with these filters, and they've all been completely full of oil when it comes time to change the oil.

RM

Reply to
richard6121

And make sure to never wipe a gun down with oil... acid-etched finger marks are a good thing.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Cleaning really dirty stuff *too fast* is bad...

now if the engine looks clean inside (pull a valve cover) go for it, but if it's all sludgy and nasty you are rolling the dice with an engine flush... take it easy with the harsh stuff... maybe try switching to a high detergent oil like Rotella or something instead of the flush

nate

GMC Greml> Yes, cleaning stuff is bad. That's why I never clean my underwear. The skid

Reply to
Nate Nagel
4.3 its Bullet-proof.
Reply to