2002 silverado Lift kit

I have a 2002 Silverado and I am thinking about lifting it. Should I go Body or Suspension? I think Suspension.

I want to go about 4 to 6. What lifts would you recommend? What wheel/tire Combination? and do any of you have photos of your rigs with a description of your lift, wheels and tires?

Thanks in Advance!

Reply to
droopydrew

I think you first need to acknowledge what it is you're trying to achieve with the lift - i.e. just looks or some increase in off-road capability etc.

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

The majority of it would be for looks, although, in Ohio you never know what you might be faced with. This year Ohio received one of the Best (some say worst) winter storms on record. My Silverado had absolutely no trouble handling the elements and pulling people out. So, I would say that 90% of it would be for a strong looking truck that is as functional as it is good looking.

I want a lift kit that provides fit and function.

Reply to
droopydrew

Kit for looking, hmmm aren't most kits for that anyway? I would not purchase a 6-8" unless you have the tires. You would have a higher center of gravity which would increase chance of rollover. Also be prepared to have your truck drive TOTALLY different. So with 6-8" your functionality may diminish. If you had good luck with it now, why change it unless you want the looks. Price, hmm a 6-8" lift $2000-2500, tires and wheels to match $1500-2000. results are Looks -- 100% better maybe not worth money, functionality as everyday driver -100% definitely not worth money.

Let the bashing fly. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Christian

No bashing.......but he said 4" to 6", not 6" to 8" as you refer to in your comments. H

Reply to
Hairy

Have you compared the cost of a body lift to a suspension lift? I think you'll start to think about what you want to do with the truck when you figure out that the price difference is significant.

I suppose you can get larger tires on a truck with a large body lift and the tires alone give you additional ground clearance. Be aware that there is a pratical limit to how much larger you can go on the tires without needing to regear the truck.. It's usually within 2-3in or so of the largest factory tire size. Beyond that, start factoring in a good deal of cash for regaring of your differentials.

I'd really suggest riding in a truck that is lifted... Larger tires are hard to balance, mileage & acceleration go down, and it may ride sigificantly rougher...

Want to add off road capacity to your truck? By far - the best thing you can do is add a locker or limited slip if you don't have one already... I've got a truck that's locked front and rear, it drives right around vehicles that are much taller without any problem.

Reply to
dcg

I have compared and cost isn't a factor yet, because I am still trying to decide what it is I want to achieve. I think I would be happier with a 3 to

4 inch lift that allows me to add bigger tires, and not too big that I kill myself on mileage, ride and functionality.

Good idea on the riding in one that is lifted.

One additional item I would like to know about would be air lift kits, but this might have to be another new topic for the newsgroup.

Hey, anyone thristy, or am I going to have to drink alone? Let me buy a round for all the help on posting and lift kits.

Droopy

Reply to
Drew Donisi

Droopy - Check the prices. I'm not a Chevy guy, but on the old Toyotas that I know, I body lift (2-3in max) would run $150-$200. A well done suspension lift of for the same solid axle truck would cost at least $500. For an IFS truck like yours, I haven't seen one of decent quality (no blocks) for under about $1200. I like the air lift too, but they're expensive also.

Reply to
dcg

Thanks for the feed back.

I haven't seen much on the air lifts and I am researching that avenue now.

I thought about the body lift, but wanted to research the lift kits and found air rides in the meantime.

thanks in advance for any advice. I want to change the stance of the truck, I only want to do it once, and do it right at the sametime.

Sincerely, Droopy

Reply to
Droopy Drew

Oopps forgot to tell you. You can do three more things: Twist torsion (sp) bars, buy blocks or spacers for springs, or possibly put in longer shackles.

B.

Reply to
Bruce Christian