Disconnecting 2002 Silverado

Alrigh

I was told to disconnect the battery in this truck, however I can't seem to get to the negative cable, what I mean is that there doesnt really seem to be anything i can grab on to with any tools Its a side post battery, and this truck will be sitting for 6-7months so that why i need to disconnect it Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get to the negative cable, or if disconnecting the positive cable will be fine(even though the manual says remove the (-) cable), or any other ideas

-- TruckGirl

View this thread:

Send from

TruckGirl

to get to the negative cable, what I mean is that there doesnt really seem to be anything i can grab on to with any tools.

that why i need to disconnect it.

cable, or if disconnecting the positive cable will be fine(even though the manual says remove the (-) cable), or any other ideas?

Disconnecting the pos cable will do the same thing. Just be careful you don't let the wrench touch ground while loosening the bolt. Also make sure there is no security code set in the radio, before you disconnect the battery, or at least know what the code is.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

i have no idea about the security code thing, and the manual says to disconnect the negative but you're sure positive will do the same thin

-- TruckGirl

View this thread:

Send from

TruckGirl

If you have access to power, you might consider hooking up an *intelligent* trickle charger to it. Or if you're in a sunny area, there are solar panels you can get that will trickle the battery.

It'll make the battery happier than just not being hooked up for that long (it could die anyhow even being hooked to nothing).

Reply to
John Craker

It probably has a plastic cap over the bolt which should be popped off first. Another option for letting the truck sit for a few months would be to buy one of those little solar powered charge maintainers.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

The only reason they tell you to disconect the ground is that if your wrench touches a ground while disconecting the pos. it will short. Otherwise it makes no difference at all.

Reply to
M Port