3500HD rear axle question

AFAIK, the rear dually axle on non-HD 3500 models has always come in two widths, narrow and wide. The wide version is the kind that when used on regular pickup trucks requires large fenders attached to the side of the bed. The narrow version is used on C&C trucks and will not work with a regular pickup bed because there isn't four feet between the two inside wheels.

With the 3500HD models (15,000 gvw) there was, I thought, only one width available.

The other day, however, I am pretty sure I saw a narrow version of the

3500HD. Perhaps they had the axle cut down, I don't know. My question is, does anyone know if, on the 3500HD trucks, there were two rear axle widths available?

TIA

Reply to
Manny Davis

Greetings,

I have seen one-ton trucks with single rear wheels from both Ford and GM. However, I never got a close look at the axle but at first glance it appeared as if the only difference between the single rear wheel set-up and the dually were the extended hubs with the second outside wheel attached to it on the dually. The distance between the inner wheels of the dually and the wheels of a single rear wheel set-up appeared to be the same because of the need to use the same bed for both (just with added fenders for a dually).

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Not true on the older GM trucks. A differt alxe was used on DRW models, usually a D70 verse a 14 bolt 10.5 with SRW models

I have seen narrow HD 10 lug rear axles on 3500 HD Cab and Chassis models. Never seen a wide one.

Reply to
SnoMan