6.5 turbo rebuild

Has anyone in here done a rebuild on a 6.5 turbo unit ? We have one that is leaking bad enough to have oil dripping out of the exhaust pipe. Will a rebuild kit always fix that or is it sometimes too far gone ? It spins freely but has a little play. Also does a rebuild kit come with a bushing for the dump shaft ?

Reply to
69SScamaro

You would probably be better off to just get a reman unit.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I would tend to agree with this as the leak could be caused by a bad seal and/or worn turbine shaft bearings. Due the tolerances involved here a reman would be best.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The kit has ... Journal bearings, Retaining rings, Thrust bushing and bearings, Thrust collar and Piston rings .... if this kit would fix it I'd rather do it myself. I worked in a shop rebuilding engines and transmissions for a dozen or so years, before going into electro mechanical. I just never messed with a turbo before, but then again everything we do here is usually a first. We just rebuilt a Kubota diesel that no one else would touch. Our shop is always filled with stuff other people won't work on.

Reply to
69SScamaro

Given your background, I would say that your are up to the task. A lot of people posting here do not have your experiance level. I would inspect the housing for cracks throughly due to heat stress but housing should not be worn otherwise.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If your going to rebuild it, at least locate a "exploded view" diagram of the turbo unit. Most people here will advise you to buy a rebuilt starter or alternator instead of repairing the unit. No insult to anyone, some people do have the time, tools, and experience to repair a part instead of just replacing it.

While I have not rebuilt a turbo before, I would recommend picking up a second one from a salvage yard. This could cover a replacement part needed not included in the kit.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

That is a good idea to have a spare just in case we run into a crack or a bearing spun and ruined the case or whatever I may find. Most parts I'll just make in the lathe or Bridgeport etc... housings are a little tough...

Reply to
Bill

Appearently GM does not rebuld them because dealer manual just covers removing and replacing it only.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I noticed that in the manual. they go over removal and installation. We took ours off and ripped it down. It's down to the center unit I don't want to take that apart until I have the kit. All the rest is cleaned up and ready to go back together except the center and the waste gate. The bushing in the waste gate is wasted, it actually has so much play that the gate can't close, so it's constantly in a partial bypass. They weld the arms on both sides so we'll have to grind off the weld on one side pull out the shaft and make a bushing (not a service part). We'll mark the location and weld it back on in the same location. It looks easy to get it back in place. I'll keep you informed of the progress, hope to have the kit in a few days.

Reply to
69SScamaro

I will be curiuos to hear how it turns out and if you take pictures and want to do a how to we can post it in my Forum if you want too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Turbo completely apart now waiting for the parts... I have to grind off the waste gate and make a bushing for the worn case then reinstall and weld it back onto the shaft. I'll probably do that tonight so I'm ready for the kit.....

Reply to
69SScamaro

We got the kit this afternoon, it's all back together and ready to fire. Now just need to paint fenders and put them back on and fire it up. Hopefully tomorrow... we'll post pics on our web site soon. Actually not too bad of a job to do, just a pain with how tight the clearances are there is not much room when putting center section back into the exhaust housing. It has to go in perfectly straight the entire way, had to keep spinning, checking for binding and tighten in a sequence.

Reply to
69SScamaro