88 chevy 1500 4x4 transmission

I want to replace my 1988 Chevy 4x4 1500 series automatic transmission. It has a 350 engine with overdrive. what years will fit this truck. I've checked some places say only an 88. Others say an 88 to a 91. What should I be looking for to make sure it will work.

Reply to
jack2004

actually, any 4x4 700r4 from '81 to '92 will work... the best years of them are 89-92.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks for the input. I was getting concerned when I talked to someone trying to sell me new a transmission, they said I was limited to one year, and when I talked to salvage yards I was told the same as you told me. I use the truck for hay & bedding for my horses and first gear is hanging up a bit.

Reply to
jack2004